Friday, November 23, 2007

My view on airports...

When I know I am going to be traveling by airplane, I have a check list of things to do:
1)make a new "plane" mix
2)find a good book
3)bring a notebook
4)get there early
5)find a corner seat

Why do I do this? Because honestly, I love airports. They may be in my top 5 favorite places to be. There is just something about being in a terminal that I find absolutely wonderful and my check list just magnifies this wonderfulness.

Let's be honest, I don't usually make a new playlist every time. I know what music I like and I'm kind of stuck in a rut. Here is a list of MUST HAVES:
Crosby, Stills & Nash, Nada Surf, Ben Lee, Jack Johnson, Tom Petty, Wilco, G.Love, Anathallo.

The book is for the actual flight. Flights can get long and a good book is KEY. Books from past flights...The Kite Runner, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, Pride & Prejudice. I try to make it a book I haven't read, although I've read P&P way too many times. This trip's book: The Plague by Camus. Depressing but so good.

I'm not very eloquent and I do not pride myself in my writing but if I have a thought, I want to write it down. Being alone in an airport is conducive to many thoughts. Hence, the notebook.

Getting there early is more key than the book & the notebook combined! Not only do I hate being rushed, but I love airports, remember? The more time the better.

And finally, the corner seat is my haven. I can see everything from where I sit.


So, why do I like airports so much? It's the people. You have all these different people going to all different places, for all different reasons, with all different backgrounds. With all these differences, there is one similarity. We are all looking for something. Whether we are going to see family, going on vacation, going home, or running away, there is an innate need to make ourselves better.

Yesterday was Thanksgiving. Thinking of that, I'm grateful for this need in my own life. It means that I want to be better. I want to grow. I want to learn.

So next time you're traveling, make a mix, pick up a great book, don't forget your notebook, get there early and just sit back and witness the pure joy that comes from watching people on their way to attempt what you are trying to do; experience something new.

1 comment:

L.R.L said...

so you always plan on being early to airports huh? Interesting.