Tuesday, September 11, 2007

September Book Review

I wish I was a better reader. I love books, but honestly, I am the slowest reader on the planet. When I hear that people have read an 800 page book in less than 24 hours, it boggles my mind. I envy those people.

With that said, my book of choice this month is “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close” by Jonathon Safran Foer. I first heard about this book over the summer and was told that it was a book I would definitely enjoy. So, my roommate’s copy accompanied me on my trip home to New Jersey in August.

The book is told through the eyes of a nine year old boy, Oskar, whose father dies in the World Trade Center bombings. Although September 11th is mentioned throughout the book numerous times, it is not the main storyline. I like this novel because it is more about the human response to the tragedy than about the the actual bombing itself.

I proved my roommate right! Not only did I enjoy the book, I loved it! It’s my favorite book right now. Foer is a great writer. I love how he uses images as well as text to progress his story. Read it! If you don’t trust me, trust the New York Times. It’s on their best-seller list. But honestly, why wouldn't you trust me?

3 comments:

Sue said...

Now I'll have to read this book! I'm always looking for good books to read :)

melissa said...

did you know i can never see your profile picture, not even on your comments on my blog, not even on your page?

Bill from Jersey said...

Have I ever seen "Spring in New York?" Nice job!